Okay, we know your mother taught you not to talk with food in your mouth, to keep your elbows off the table and never to slurp. But did she enlighten you about these guidelines?
1. Dress code: If it’s anything other than a Burger King or an iHop, you’ll usually be treated more respectfully if you dress the part. The more upscale, the more it counts. A casual-chic sheath dress with a sparkly bangle would be perfect.
2. Try to minimize phone use: It’s considered rude to speak loudly on your phone, or to text a lot while you’re dining. If you must take a phone call, excuse yourself and go outside to talk. If you’d like to take a photo of your food before eating (Do it for the ‘gram) that’s okay, but not in more upscale eateries.
3. The napkin belongs on your lap: If you get up, it goes on your chair. When the meal is over, you can place it on the left-hand side of your plate.
4. Don’t snap or yell at the waiter: Simply raising your index finger to catch their attention would be enough.
5. When you’re done eating place your utensils on the plate: Crossing your knife and fork on the plate makes it easier for the staff to clear the table.
Just some reminders:
- Don’t talk with food in your mouth.
- Keep your elbows off the table.
- No slurping.
Practice makes perfect and dining out is wonderful, so enjoy the process of becoming a proper foodie!
Cover photo: Kama Neren shot by Molly Meisels for The Glam Salad ©